An introduction to Ayurveda
Ayurveda is a 5000-year-old medical science from India. Actually, we can it is the science of life. It is not so much focused on curing diseases (although it has done so quite well for 5000 years), as it is on prevention. Ayurveda really embodies the dictum, “Prevention is better than cure.”
Ayurveda believes that your food should be your medicine. If you eat well, you will not need medicine as you will get no disease. Ayurveda definitely recognizes the role of inflammation in causing disease. In fact, Ayurveda is quite focused on preventing and minimizing inflammation. This is a fundamental focus of Hylunia as well!
To prevent inflammation, Ayurveda recommends adopting a balanced lifestyle and diet combined with Yoga and Meditation.
Some key principles of Ayurveda which have significantly influenced the Hylunia philosophy are:
- Create a simple, sustainable daily routine in alignment with the circadian rhythms
- Ayurveda wants you to follow the cycle of the sun – rise with the sun and go to bed with the sun
- Eat only seasonal fruits and vegetables
- Every human being is different – there is no generic medicine in Ayurveda – everything is personalized and customized to the needs and circumstances of an individual
- The doctor takes the patient’s lifestyle, family, profession, diet, community, life circumstances and body type into consideration before recommending a solution
- Ayurveda clearly recognizes the mind body connection – along with physical medicine, you are also given mantras and affirmations
- Ayurveda looks at gentle adjustments and practical solutions rather than extreme steps
- Ayurveda is also big on enhancing the power of the immune system – your immune system helps you to prevent the onset of chronic diseases
- Ayurveda recommends daily yoga and meditation so that your body and mind can perform at the peak on a daily basis
The Six Stages of Disease according to Ayurveda
Ayurveda says that disease does not occur in the body suddenly. It develops over time and is caused by stress, poor diet, faulty lifestyle and lack of proper physical exercise.
The six stages of disease according to Ayurveda are -
- Accumulation: This is where the accumulation of harmful toxins in the body begins.
- Aggravation: Once the accumulation reaches a certain level, its start causing inflammation in the body.
- Dissemination: These toxins and the resulting inflammation then spread to various parts of the body.
- Localization: The toxins and inflammation get localized in the most vulnerable part of the body lacking in life-force energy.
- Manifestation: The disease then begins to manifest externally and begins to show its signs and symptoms.
- Disruption: When left unchecked and untreated, the disease becomes chronic and the body enters a heightened stage of disease. This applies to all chronic diseases. This pattern is applicable to the various skin conditions as well.
Therefore, prevention is better than cure. Hylunia also strongly believes in this principle.
This is why at Hylunia we take a whole person approach to skincare. Along with the use of safe and effective skincare, it is important to live a balanced, low-stress life.
Towards that end Hylunia recommends:
- Create and follow a stable, meaningful daily routine that can be sustained over the course of your life with minor adjustments
- What you do daily is more important than what you do once in a while
- Just as disease accumulates over time, the good effects of a healthy lifestyle also accumulate over time and serve you throughout your life
- Eat a healthy balanced diet and eat in moderation
- Practice yoga and meditation to balance your body and mind
- Avoid stress at all costs – stress is a hidden and silent killer
- Practice unconditional love and forgiveness
- Accept everyone as they are – trying to change people is futile and leads to stress
- Do not adopt extreme and rigid beliefs which can really add to your stress
- Get adequate amounts of sleep on a daily basis allowing for DNA repair
- Do something you enjoy daily – give yourself small rewards for good and healthy behavior
- Try to keep the mind on an even keel – neither getting too high or too low, but in the middle
- Boost your immune system through laughter yoga and ayurvedic supplements
- Convert every negative thought into a positive thought
- Be optimistic and at the same time realistic
- Accept yourself unconditionally
- Take things as they come, take life in your stride
- Be true to your own self