Everyone’s skin can benefit from a professional spa facial. Facials cleanse, hydrate, nourish, and balance skin tone and texture. A facial’s like a teeth cleaning, it should be done at least two times a year by a professional. It’s best to get a spa facial by a licensed esthetician who can properly evaluate your skin type and address skin concerns.
- Deep cleanses
- Helps clear up blemishes
- Softens fine lines & wrinkles
- Treats dryness, oiliness, redness
- Slows down premature aging
- Helps even skin tone
- Removes impurities
What to expect
Consultation. The esthetician will ask you about your skin, your skin concerns, any allergies or medication you may be taking that will determine the products, and procedures to be used on your skin type.
Draping. She will then drape your head with a headband and possibly a towel to protect the hair.
Makeup Removal. Next she will gently remove any makeup that is on the face.
Cleaing and Analysis. She will usually apply a warm towel to the face for a few minutes to moisten the skin to make cleansing easier. They will then use a cleanser to remove the skin of any impurities.
Exfoliation. This leaves the skin smoother, helps product penetrate, promotes circulation, and increases cell turnover rate. It’s performed with either an exfoliant scrub, peel, or a brush.
Steam or warm towels. Next she will prepare skin for extractions by softening the pores with either steam or hot towels.
Extractions. If needed, the esthetician will perform extractions to unblock clogged areas on blackheads, closed comedones, whiteheads, and other skin blemishes. This is where she extracts oil and debris from the follicles.
Massage.At this point she may begin to massage product in a soothing and relaxing matter. Massage promotes increased circulation and metabolism, while helping product penetration.
Application of masks.A mask will be applied to help draw impurities out of the skin. Some masks are applied to hydrate too. While the mask is applied the esthetician may begin to massage other parts of the body.
Application of toner.Some estheticians will apply a toner to hydrate and balance skins pH.
Application of moisturizer.A moisturizer will be applied to hydrate and protect skin barriers.
Application of sunscreens.If your facial is performed during daytime hours a good esthetician will finish your facial with the application of a sunscreen to protect your skin.
Application of serums, eye & lip treatments.A serum may be applied for some facial treatments. Most facials usually end with the application of an eye treatment and lip balm. Click here to find a Hylunia partner spa near you.
How often should I get a facial?
Most estheticians recommend getting a facial every 4-8 weeks. If you can’t get a facial that often, at least treat yourself 2-4 times a year. It’s best to receive a facial whenever the season changes; this is a good indicator your skin is changing too. People who receive corrective facials to clear up acne, acne scaring, or hyperpigmentation may benefit from more frequent facials.
When you can’t make it to an esthetician, you can easily care for skin at home with Hylunia skin care products listed below.
Easy at home facials
- Hylunia Facial Cleansing Gel. This gentle deep pore cleanser helps wash away impurities and excess oil from your skin, while leaving skin feeling soft, clean and healthy. Use morning and night on face and neck.
- Hylunia Anti-Oxidant Vitamin Mask. This powerful mask fights aging, while repairing and soothing damaged skin. Works best for dry, sun-damaged or aging skin. Simply apply to cleansed face and neck and wash off after 10 minutes. May be left on overnight for severely dry skin.
- Hylunia Papaya Enzyme Mask. Lightly exfoliates, while breaking down protein in dead skin. Will improve circulation, tone, texture and smoothness. Gently massage with fingertips for 5 minutes and leave on for 10 minutes.
- Hylunia Ultimate Antioxidant Cream. This power-packed moisturizer helps restore skin’s youthful glow with its unique blend of antioxidants and plant peptides—all with anti-aging benefits that help skin look and feel visibly renewed, softer and younger-looking.